Have you ever looked at the ingredients in store bought almond or cashew milk and thought to yourself “I wish I could just make this at home without all this extra chemicals!”??? Well, you are not alone, I have thought that many times!
A couple months ago, I stumbled on a blog (www.thevegan8.com) for a vegan alfredo recipe and found that she was using homemade cashew milk to thicken up her sauce. Best part? Her cashew milk was EASY. Like ridiculously easy! After making it several times and experimenting with different nuts, here is what I found….
- you want to use only raw, unsalted cashews
- the milk turns out best if you soak cashews in water for at least 4 hours.
- I’ve tried with almonds and you really do need a cheese cloth to get all the pulp out. Cashews just blend into a smoother milk consistency.
- If you plan to always make your own cashew milk, I recommend you order your cashews in bulk.
You will need:
- 1 cup of raw, unsalted cashews
- 6 cups of water
- pinch of pink himalayan salt
- put all ingredients into Vitamix blender and let sit for 4 hours – this step is optional, but highly recommended
- blend ingredients on a speed around 5-6 and set a timer for 10 minutes. Let Vitamix do it’s thing for 10 minutes.
- Store 6 cups of fresh and delicious cashew milk in mason jars and enjoy for the week!
Adam claims this milk is better than whole milk!!! So you will have to make for yourself and let me know what you think!
From my kitchen to yours,