Sweet potatoes stand in for beans in this hearty chili and are a nice compliment to the smoky chipotle pepper. It’s great served with diced avocado, fresh cilantro and lime wedge. Feel free to double the batch and freeze some for future meals because it’s super freezer-friendly.
Author: Simply Nourished Recipes
Recipe type: Soup, One-Dish Meal
Serves: 4 servings, about 1½ cups
- 1 Tbsp. coconut oil
- 1 lb. ground turkey
- 1 cup diced onion (about ½ large)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 28-ounces canned or jarred diced tomatoes
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cut into small cubes
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- ¼ – ½ tsp. ground chipotle powder (may substitute 1 canned chipotle in adobo sauce)
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil in medium saucepan set over medium-high heat.
- When oil starts to shimmer, add ground turkey. Break up turkey with a wooden spoon and cook 5 minutes.
- Add onions and garlic and continue to cook an additional 8-10 minutes or until onions are translucent and meat is almost cooked through.
- Turn up the heat to high. Add tomatoes, sweet potatoes, broth and seasonings and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer uncovered 10-15 minutes until chili is hot and sweet potatoes are tender. A longer simmer will intensify the flavors and leftovers are even better the next day.
All photos and content are copyright protected. Please do not use our photos without prior written permission. If you wish to republish this recipe, please rewrite the recipe in your own unique words and link back to the source recipe here on Simply Nourished Recipes so credit is given where credit is due. Thank you!
Serving size: ¼ recipe, about 1½ cups Calories: 311 Fat: 12g Carbohydrates: 15g Sugar: 9gSodium: 535mg Fiber: 4g Protein: 24g